Skip to main content

Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance

The Emergency Assistance Department provides supportive services that deliver crisis intervention strategies to stabilize households and strengthen self-sufficiency. All Emergency Assistance Programs/Services serve Franklin County households that are at or below 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines and most households must have a qualifying emergency to receive assistance.

In 2016, more than $91,302 was leveraged to help 539 households with transportation assistance, furniture assistance, rental assistance, water utility assistance, state identification assistance and bereavement assistance.


Q: What is a qualifying emergency?

A: A qualifying emergency is a situation or circumstance that interrupts your life or lifestyle and makes it so you are unable to afford the expense


Q: What is the Federal Poverty Guidelines for 125% of Poverty?

A: See the table below

Click here to learn more about Utility Bill Assistance



Appliance Assistance

Appliance Assistance provides one-time per calendar year material support with a refrigerator or stove (electric) for households with qualifying emergency.



Bereavement Assistance

Bereavement Assistance is burial support for households who bear the burden of expense in the unexpected loss/loss of a loved one.


Q: Does IMPACT work exclusively with one or specific funeral homes?

A: IMPACT serves Franklin County. IMPACT will accept a referral from any funeral home located in Columbus and Franklin County within the boundaries of our service area.


Q: How much assistance can I receive?

A: The bereavement assistance benefit is up $700.00.



Furniture Bank Assistance

IMPACT, in partnership with the Furniture Bank of Central Ohio, provides access to material assistance referrals for households with a qualifying emergency.


Q: What is required for the Furniture Bank?

A: The Furniture Bank requires a referral from a participating partner agency. All customers referred to the Furniture Bank through IMPACT must bring a $30.00 co-pay to their initial appointment.


Q: Do I need to secure my own truck for Furniture Bank delivery?

A: No, the Furniture Bank will deliver your selections.


Q: Will the Furniture Bank bring my furnishings into my home?

 A: No, you must be able to unload your own items.  Furniture Bank staff are not permitted to bring the furniture into your home.



Rent/Mortgage Assistance

Rent/Mortgage Assistance provides one-time per calendar year support for past due balances and first month's rent to prevent homelessness for households that are experiencing situational poverty or crisis.


Q: Does IMPACT pay security deposits or late fees?

A: No, IMPACT does not provide assistance with security deposits or late fees.


Q: How much assistance can I receive?

A: The benefit towards first month and past due rent is up to $700.00.


Q: Can I apply for rent assistance multiple times per year?

A: No, customers may only receive the benefit once per calendar year.


Q: Can I pick up the check?

A: No, payments are mailed directly to the property owner/landlord.


Q: Once approved, will the landlord receive the funds right away?

A: The property owner/ landlord is notified of the agency’s intent to pay however; the receipt of benefit may take up to 10 business days to process



Transportation Assistance

Transportation Assistance is the issuance of bus passes/gas cards to support the household's ability to maintain basic household transportation needs.


Q: What do I need to receive the transportation benefit?

A: All persons receiving the transportation benefit must meet income eligibility at 125% of the Federal Poverty Guideline.


Q: Do you provide gas cards or bus passes?

A: Yes, the benefit may provide either gas card or bus pass (based on availability).



Water Utility Assistance

Water Assistance is one-time per calendar year support to a water utility vendor for water bills that are past due or in disconnection status.


Q: Can IMPACT assist with a payment if the water bill is in the landlord’s name?

A: Yes, we work with landlords and have a process that addresses bill payment.


Q: How much is assistance can I receive?

A: The benefit towards the water is up to $250.00 towards a delinquent water bill.


Q: Do I need to be in disconnect status to apply for services?

A: Yes, you must be in disconnect status or off



Our Impact in 2017

  • Customers Served


  • Dollars Leveraged


  • People Gainfully Employed


  • Volunteer Hours


© 2019 IMPACT Community Action

Powered by           Employee Email Access